10.8.07

the Becket fixation


I believe him, I know it's my only chance to -- my only chance, I believe all I'm told, I've disbelieved only too much in my long life, now I swallow everything, greedily. What I need now is stories, it took me a long time to know that, and I'm not sure of it.
--Molloy, Part I

Saying is inventing. Wrong, very rightly wrong. You invent nothing, you think you are inventing, you think you are escaping, and all you do is stammer out your lesson, the remnants of a pensum one day got by heart and long forgotten, life without tears, as it is wept.
--Molloy, Part I

Decidedly it will never have been given to me to finish anything, except perhaps breathing. One must not be greedy.
--Malone Dies

And all these questions I ask myself. It is not in a spirit of curiosity. I cannot be silent. About myself I need know nothing. Here all is clear. No, all is not clear. But the discourse must go on. So one invents obscurities. Rhetoric.
--The Unnamable

We are all born mad. Some remain so.
--Waiting for Godot




No comments: